Georges St-Pierre leads Montreal to UFC glory: UFC, PQ

UFC, PQ

Photo: Liam Maloney

Montreal boy Georges St-Pierre fights the good fight in Vegas this weekend

Walk into Tristar Gym just off Decarie any day of the week and you’ll feel like you’ve just stumbled onto the set of Raging Bull. Haphazardly distributed around its centrepiece, the boxing ring, are weight machines, treadmills, heavy bags and wrestling dummies, with ne’er a sauna or aerobic soundtrack in sight. This is the real deal: where real athletes work themselves to the bone in relentless pursuit of physical excellence, where you can smell the sweat in the air. On the day that I walked in, I was on the hunt for Georges St-Pierre, who to those in the know is a veritable hero. But not that many people around here are in the know. Georges St-Pierre, a 27-year-old, bright-eyed guy born in Saint-Isidore, recognizable for his signature goofy-guy smile, is among the world’s heaviest hitters in the international scene of mixed martial arts. And guess what? He lives right here in our backyard.

"In the States, when I walk down the street, people everywhere recognize me, so I don’t really have a private life," he says. He’s just finished a workout in the ring and he’s stretching his body into pretzel shapes as he talks to me, his left eye glowing with a brand-new shiner. "Here, though, no one knows who I am. But that’s okay – at least I can take a girl to a restaurant without it being all over the papers the next day!"

On March 4, St-Pierre will be back in his home away from home, Las Vegas, for his biggest fight yet. The Ultimate Fighting Championship 58, which will be broadcast live on Pay Per View, is themed "USA vs. Canada," which, without stretching the hometown ego too much, we can thank two Montrealers for: St-Pierre, who will be confronting BJ Penn in the welterweight class, and his middleweight counterpart David Loiseau, who also trains at Tristar. Loiseau, a powerful striker and a riveting creative fighter in the ring, will be going up against Rich Franklin in the title fight. These two fighters’ international calibre is a tribute to Montreal’s longstanding history in fight sports, from the superstar wrestlers of yore (Mad Dog Vachon, Ice Man Thériault) to the glorious boxers of today (Otis Grant and the infamous Hiltons). That’s plenty to make this city proud. So why the lack of attention?

"I think when the sport started in Kahnawake, it didn’t give ultimate fighting a very good image," says St-Pierre. "Still today there are galas organized in this sport where guys fight who shouldn’t fight, because they’re not professionals. To be able to box professionally, you have to have had an amateur career, you have to have passed a test at the Régie des sports et loisirs. But in ultimate fighting anyone can go. People will say that’s not true, but I know – just with my notoriety I could get any old street person in and put him on a fight card. To me, that does the sport a disservice."

Shawn Mozen agrees. You could call Mozen Montreal’s own Joe Rogan – an expert in all things mixed martial arts, he’s a certified trainer in karate, jiu-jitsu, systema, boxing and kettle bells (a form of resistance training popularized by Russian fighters), and he does the colour commentary for all TKO fights. TKO, like UFC, is a recurring fight competition that happens in and around Montreal. It’s the place you can go to see the same guys that’ll end up being big names internationally, like St-Pierre and Loiseau, before they hit the big league.

"At the beginning here you had the drama of trying to do ultimate combat on the Indian reserve, and then bang, it’s illegal, ‘We’re going to arrest fighters, we’re going to this, we’re going to that,’ and it’s really given what is a very impressive sport, where you meet guys like Georges and David who are true gentlemen, a bad name," he says.

Block that hook

In fact, ultimate fighting has had a bad rap across the board at one time or another because of what Mozen describes as bad promotion. "Unfortunately, what happened with the UFC right at the beginning is that to promote it they went a certain way," he explains. "They went, ‘It’s going to be a blood sport, like a tough man competition to the extreme, and who knows what could happen.’ They put it out there like someone could basically die in the ring."

Ergo the revised image of today, the increase in regulations – no groin shots, no elbows to the head – and the general preference in the field for the term "mixed martial arts" over "ultimate fighting." It better represents what the sport is, which is a blend of all fight forms, from boxing to grappling to kicking and holding, that requires unparalleled levels of focus and expertise on the fighters’ parts. St-Pierre’s training, for example, involves no drinking, careful eating, and two two-hour training sessions a day, where he mixes it all up for his entertainment. He trains with a different expert for every genre, including Jean-Pierre Renaud, Victor Varzotsky, who’ll be in his corner at Saturday’s fight, and Renzoe Gracie, from the famous Gracie jiu-jitsu clan in New York.

"Today I’m doing boxing in the morning, tonight I’ll do my sprints," explains St-Pierre. "Tomorrow it’s jiu-jitsu in the morning, Olympic wrestling in the evening, and Friday it’s muy thai and then techniques or swimming in the evening, something like that. Every day I’ve got a routine that enables me to diversify my training. In this sport the most important thing is to be as complete a fighter as possible."

St-Pierre says it’s his passion for training that’s kept him on the straight and narrow. He started his career in martial arts at 7, with a class in karate. "I went to a school where it was pretty rough – I’d get my clothes stolen, my cash. And at home life was pretty hard too. I had a difficult childhood, and I’m not saying that that’s why I do ultimate fighting, but it helped shape my character.

"People often say, ‘Ah, ultimate fighting is so violent,’ but it’s rooted in martial arts. Martial arts incarnate respect. You can’t walk into a dojo and say to your sensei, ‘Hey, salut tabarnac!’ After every one of my fights I go and shake the hand of my opponent. I don’t need to hate the other fighter to fight him well. It’s a sport."

"Guys like David and Georges are extremely important in this sport because they remove this idea of the brutish or dumb fighter," says Mozen. "Georges comes off as very, very polite, as a gentleman – he has time for you, he has time for his fans, you know, he’s gracious in victory, gracious in defeat. When you look at him fight or David Loiseau, these are not just two guys that went into the ring to try to beat each other up. For that they’re really good ambassadors, because they bring a class to it, they eliminate the brutish mentality, and they also show the athleticism involved. This is going to go a long way to turning it around in Canada and stopping what began basically as poor marketing."

Tact talk

UFC 58 on March 4 promises one hell of an exciting lineup. St-Pierre’s adversary, BJ Penn, is an experienced skilled fighter, and the first non-Brazilian to win the jiu-jitsu world championships at the black belt level. He’s a worthy opponent for St-Pierre, the relative new kid on the UFC block, only two years into this high-level competition but a rising star that shows no sign of slowing down. If St-Pierre wins this one, he’ll be in line for a belt in no time. What can we expect from him on Saturday?

"I’m not really someone who does trash talk," says our humble homeboy. "All I can say is that BJ Penn can say what he wants, but I’ll let my fists talk in the octagon."

Mozen, on the other hand, paints the picture in the brash colours of sheer excitement: "The thing with Georges is he’s completely explosive, very athletic, very strong. A lot of guys are saying BJ Penn’s ground game is better, but I think both of these guys know who they’re fighting. Georges is a different fighter from when he fought Matt Hughes, too. He’s more experienced – he lost that fight in the first round, but after that no one was talking about Hughes beating him, everyone was talking about how good Georges looked in that fight. Now he’s not overwhelmed by the lights of Vegas, he’s not overwhelmed by a championship fight, he’s been there before, so I’m looking for Georges to come in and be maybe a little more patient this time. Not overextend himself and get into trouble, and to do what he does best. He throws surprises – this is the guy who took down Hughes, a great wrestler, and also had the audacity to throw a spinning back kick against him! So against a guy like BJ Penn, I think it’s going to be just explosive."

UFC 58
March 4, 10 p.m.
Live from the Mandalay Bay Events Center, Nevada, on Pay Per View, at a sports bar near you
Surf to www.tkozone.tv for news on the next Montreal fights

News

• by Maria Jankovics - March 2, 2006, 6:11 pm

This type of fighting, martial arts, wrestling and boxing seems a hard act to follow but it must be exhilerating to watch. I love boxing, and I have a strong feeling I would probably like this too. It is great to know that St.Pierre is a thorough enough athlete that he can do Montrealers proud. He has a diverse training routine that sems to be working for him and this multi-diverse training routine keeps him very fit. He doesn’t drink and eats the right foods, and seems to be a very level headed young man. He prefers Montreal to Las Vegas as he can blend into the scenario without being hasseled by fans or the media. Well I would love to watch this on Pay per View on March 4. Go get him Tiger, Montrealers are rooting for you!!

• by Mark St Pierre - March 2, 2006, 11:39 pm

Mixed Martial Arts is a far more apt term for this fusion of fighting styles and, having caught a few such matches, I can attest to the incredible physicality, skill, and endurance required to not only survive but thrive in the ring. The term also engenders a great deal more credibility than the “Extreme Fighting” tag that the sport was once saddled with…at any rate, it’s incredibly heartening to see a local boy done good (and possible relative???) – we’re rooting for you George!!!

• by Charles Montpetit - March 3, 2006, 7:23 am

No matter how gloriously we dress this sport up, in the end, it’s still two people beating each other up. How come we’re all supposed to cheer it in an arena, but deplore the exact same thing when two drunken revelers happen to do it in the street, just on the other side of that ticket booth (or for that matter, when two countries do it on a much larger scale, with or without weapons)? I could just imagine how schizoid the human race must seem from the outside but, for the time being, I’ll stick with this edition of Hour, as it mocks the fighting in its editorial cartoon yet promotes it in its cover story. Sigh.

• by Cameron Gonsalvez - March 3, 2006, 3:31 pm

Saturday’s fights should be fantastic. Of course the Loiseau and St.Pierre fights will be the hilights of the night. Win or lose (they both will win of course)these guys have done and will continue to do Canada proud. All Canadians, not just Montrealers should be behind them.

• by John Johnson - March 3, 2006, 4:02 pm

west coast canada is rooting for you georges! good luck!

• by David Gentile - March 3, 2006, 4:22 pm

Charles, your comments about the sport, while ignorant are not surprising. MMA (mixed martial arts) is a sport that is rarely understood by the general public. The comparison between two well-trained, experienced, conditioned athletes to two “drunken revellers” shows a fundamental misconception about the sport.

MMA is NOT about killing your opponent or hurting him to the point of serious injury. The referee is there to ensure that when a fighter can no longer defend himself, the fight is stopped. In fact, many of the fights end up on the ground, where technical skill in the area of submission is required. When a fighter is caught in a submission move, it is up to him to “tap out”. This almost always occurs instantaneously and most fighters manage to avoid injury as such.

Georges St-Pierre is in arguably one of the fittest athletes in town who possesses explosive power and speed that many of us can only dream about. He trains hard and shows a classiness that only helps the sports image. To judge this sport before truly understanding it is a shame. It is not senseless violence. It is not two uneducated men beating each other randomly. It is a very technical, thinking-man’s sport. It’s just too bad that so many people dismiss it before giving it a chance…

• by Jarod Tyler - March 3, 2006, 5:51 pm

I’ve seen all his UFC fights and he is an awesome mixed martial artist. He’s a gentleman and a classy fighter. I think he’s the only guy who says “Mr. Rogan” :)

I’m proud that he’s representing Canada.

• by Jay Shay - March 3, 2006, 7:40 pm

MMA is no longer the bloodsport it started out with in the early UFC’s. Back then they had no gloves, weight limits and barely any rules. Most fighters had very little training and just brawled till one got knocked out. I watched the first 20 or so UFC’s as a teenager and gradually got bored of the lack of bar brawling fights.

These days the fighters train hard (as noted in the article) and the emphasis is on becoming a well rounded fighter through submissions, grappling, wrestling and striking. The UFC and its Octagon give the sport a bad image cause it looks like two guys trapped in a ring fighting to the death but that belies the reality of a great sport. All it takes is a look at the worldwide organizations such as K1 and Pride Fighting Championships to see that MMA is not about brutality.

Fighters like St.Pierre are the reason MMA will one day eclipse boxing as the “man’s sport” they bring respect and excitement to the ring. This is gonna be a huge fight for him and I hope he pulls it off then gets his chance to rematch Hughes.

• by Devin Lee - March 4, 2006, 12:19 am

This is about as “pure” as a sport can get. It’s so technical and be so beautiful to watch if you know what to watch for. My question is, where to do I go to watch this? Anybody recommend a good bar?

• by Phil Hughes - March 4, 2006, 7:21 am

This is a sport who’s time has come. It takes REAL athletes with REAL skill and REAL dedication to do this. George St. Pierre and David Loiseau are two of the best spokesmen this sport could ever have in Canada and the MMA world. We’re lucky to have them!

Go Team Canada!

• by Matt MacDonald - March 4, 2006, 9:15 pm

It’s 2 hrs to fight time and I really can’t wait. Good Luck George! he’s good but can’t handle your exposiveness or strength….looking forward to it. Loiseau stay up and in close. Lets see those elbows baby!!
    Proud from Ontario!!

• by Linda Messier - March 5, 2006, 5:03 pm

This is unbelieveble, to have a homegrown talent of such proportion and you have to read about St-Pierre in the Hour mag. That he is recognized in the states but not here in Montreal is an abomination. Here we have a tremendous athlete and he should get all the attention he deserves.
    Good luck Georges make us proud.

• by Ariane Boily - March 5, 2006, 11:01 pm

I’m soo happy George won, he really deserved it, training with Gracies in New York and working really hard back at Tristar gym in Montreal. The first round was scary, seeing his bloody face and all, but he pulled it back up and is hopefully on his way to fighting Matt Hughes and a belt!! I can’t wait…

• by John Yonai - March 6, 2006, 12:20 pm

St.Pierre has lots of tallent a huge heart and a lot of class. even thou it was U.S vs Canada some of the american fans were glad to see St.Perrie win ..Good Job.

• by Maria Louie - March 6, 2006, 3:13 pm

I have personally taken a 2 day workshop to train with Georges St. Pierre and will say this, there is nothing brutal or unkind about this fighter. He is a strong and smart professional that alot of people would do well to learn from. I am a woman, and can say that I respect MMA fighting as I train myself. To the untrained eye it may seem brutal and senseless. To the people that know, its like a physical game of chess. Every move has a countermove and its about strategy and wit just as much as it is about the physicality of it. The untrained fighters who are just about brute force and no technique or skill are far and few between and shortlived at that. If you dont like it, you dont have to watch it.

• by Chris Cameron - March 7, 2006, 6:41 am

I completely agree with the above – George St. Pierre is the epitome of what true martial arts and fighting i all about. Completely top class and definately on his way to being an Ultimate Legend of the sport.
    I speak for Canada when I say we are lucky to have someone with his intelligence, respect and class. He truely is a role model for all.

• by Dawn Manhertz - March 8, 2006, 6:05 pm

It certainly is nice to see a Canadian win in the athletic department of boxing…especially over an American! St. Pierre seems to be quite a talented young buck & should keep on training to continue to represent Canada in a positive light.
    Props 2 U boy!
    Peace. I’m out.

• by Stephen Talko - March 9, 2006, 12:11 am

The luck ran out for St-Pierre who got beat up and bruised in his last bout. In extreme fighting it is too easy for the participants to go all out to win their competitions. If the violence is not toned down some fighters will eventually die or end up with brain damage. I blame blood thirsty spectators who find boxing too tame for the rising popularity of this new sport. The government has to get involved to regulate or better still outlaw this sport.

• by Ellen Reid - March 9, 2006, 1:18 pm

Wow this sounds like a very demanding sport! Anyone who has tried martial arts knows the level of committment involved, not to mention the sheer physicality of these sports, although sport somehow seems a derogative term given the training, discipline and respect that they involve. I’ll never forget the grace, techniques and sheer power of athletes competing in tae kwon do and karate tournaments I saw back in the day, but that being said, I can’t imagine being attracted to mixed martial arts.
    I respect the athletes who participate in what I see as ultimate fighting (I know there are rules but there don’t seem to be that many) but really cannot see myself ever watching it, but then I’m the girl who thought WWF was real until I was 14! Violent combatative sports have never appealed to me as a spectator, although I may appreciate the moves I just can’t get past the fact that I am watching someone beat someone else up, albeit in a more controlled setting than some street brawl (and with a lot more respect!)
    I hope that Georges and David do well, and that MMA gets more recognition in Canada, even if I won’t be cheering from the sidelines.

• by Jason Jones - March 10, 2006, 12:25 am

To promot that last UFC as Canada VS the Usa the the biggest mistake that I have seen them make. I am willing to bet that most of the fans never would have noticed. The fact that people in the arena were booing st. pierre is a testiment to this fact. although it was a split decision st.pierre clearly won and it seems at least to me that the only reason the fans were displeased is because pierre was canadian. here is my point: A: George St pierre is the best Welter weight fighter today and B; Canada is the home of our cousins to the north. Long live St. Pierre

• by Pedro Eggers - March 12, 2006, 4:30 pm

If you’re part of the Videotron family then you’ve no doubt been the recipient of a crash course in all things extreme lately. As the owner of one of their Illico receiver boxes I routinely find myself gifted with a trial offering of one station or another. This month I’ve got a few soccer stations but the real cool find was the Fight Channel. By design or coincidence the month-long trial run began just the night before Georges St-Pierre’s fight. So even if I missed the bout itself (which I didn’t thanks to my favorite sports bar) I got all the cool post match interviews. UFC and MMA get bad reps and I can see why now. All the regular media ever focuses on is the highlights of a given match but if you ever got a chance to see a match or a series of them, you’d see the technical aspects to it all. Brutal and powerful? Yes, but not for its own sake. Georges St-Pierre’s match was technical bout that left a few disappointed but as a fellow Montrealer I consider it a win, clear and simple.

• by Nikki Walker - March 14, 2006, 4:25 pm

George is the best fighter the ufc has ever seen, Like Dana White says “he makes other fighters look like they should get new jobs” George is by far the best all around fighter. Matt Hughes isn’t going to know what hit him this time, Matt got lucky last time and i bet it won’t happen again. Bj Penn didn’t stand a chance, lucky shot is all he got. It was disappointing to see Bj was so bitter about the decision , it was so obvoius George is the better fighter and better man. I personally didn’t think Bj should be able to walk back in to the ufc and have a match with the next belt contender. It isn’t fair to the guys who spend years working there way up to a title fight. The George, Bj fight had me sick to my stomach to watch it was so good, I love George and knew he wasn’t going down. Hooray to all the fans of George we all love him.

• by Blaine Stephenson - April 2, 2006, 9:26 pm

GSP is the future of MMA. He is a great fighter with a great heart. He has TONS of tallent and personality and he will help shape the future of young MMA students who look up to him and other superstars.

• by Esteban Esterripa - April 11, 2006, 2:26 am

hi george firts of all excuse my English writing because I am not an American I am from Peru, but since I saw you first fight at ufc against karo “the heat” parisyan… I fell in love with your fightng style I think you are the future and you have proved your self in the octagon every fight you fight…. When you fight bj penn and you beat him by split decision … al lot of the americans were booing you and you showed them that you are a true gentleman by saying ” I win this fight not for Canada but for me and my fans” you got my respects sir and I am happy that this past friday Dana White annouced your title shot you deserve it. I will be there rooting for you and that is going to be my first ufc event that i will go to… and you will become the NEW CHAMPION FO THE WORLD… …

• by Steve Myers - April 13, 2006, 11:58 pm

I would first like to appoligize for all the boos from the american fans at the end of the St.Pierre/Penn fight. Being an American I was totally disgusted with the fans reaction.
    I quit watching UFC fights years back because of lack of rules,no weight class,etc. Finally when UFC came to SPIKE TV for free (lol) I got reintroduced to the SPORT. The first fight I saw after all those years was a George St. Pierre fight. Let me tell you GSP has too be one of the best if not the best fighters ever to step into the octogon. He is the total package. He also has to be one of the most polite & respectful people I have ever had the pleasure to watch on t.v. In a world where everthing is going to hell in a handbasket I would be very much pleased to see our children looking up to a man with so much charater.
    GEORGE 4 PRESIDENT

• by Aaron Hulland - May 20, 2006, 6:07 pm

As a Canadian fighter, as well as growing up with mixed martial arts as a backdrop, you can’t help but notice Georges St Pierre. He is what you call “A complete fighting machine!”
    The key to his MMA success is extensive training with a well rounded “Ground and Pound”
    I have personally met Georges St Pierre in a nightclub in Montreal, and can tell you, you wouldn’t know this man could destoy your person in seconds! Although he was very serious most of the time, he did crack the odd smile. Anyhow, Georges will take the torch from Matt Hughes and rule the Welterweight class for along time!
    United States, ready for the ” Rush?”

• by Joshua Varney - July 19, 2006, 1:44 pm

st. pierre is a true inspiration to any and all up and coming fighters. i’ve just moved to montreal from kelowna bc and am looking to hopfully train with or be trained by st. poerre or or his or ” the crow’s ” caliber… both very well rounded, excellent fighters…. expect to see my name soon!!!!!

• by Melissa Payne - October 21, 2006, 6:07 pm

“I was on the hunt for Georges St-Pierre, who to those in the know is a veritable hero. But not that many people around here are in the know. Georges St-Pierre, a 27-year-old, bright-eyed guy born in Saint-Isidore” so umm George is 25 years old not 27 so about being in the know, i think you might have to do a little more research before you say that.
    Anyway i love the UFC and i am not like most of the people that watch it, i am a 20 year old cheerleader and i don’t think there is anything wrong with it in boxing you can get knocked down over and over again but in the UFC one time and the ref calls the fight and if it looks like the guy is not defending himself the ref is also going to call the fight. i don’t mean to sound mean but if people don’t like it so much then just don’t watch it, why make a big deal about it. GO George

• by Sarah Sun - November 12, 2006, 1:45 pm

George will win that fight on Saturday November 18, 2006 against Matt Hughes. He will get his belt! I know this because my beloved will be in his “corner” cheering him on and I will be cheering him on from my home in Ontario. My boyfriend turned me onto the UFC about three years ago and I have become a huge fan. Sadly this past August I lost my beloved due to a motor vehicle accident. We had been waiting for this fighting event since the beginning of this year and we both agreed that George will win. George you have two huge fans in Marc and I, looking forward to watching the fight this Saturday. As our five year daughter says..”You can do it!!!”…

• by Tim Hrycaiko - November 19, 2006, 3:35 am

Way to Georges you exemplify a true champion. I ran around the house screaming like an idiot when you took out Hughes. People complain about MMA as a sport then take their 300mag out and go shoot a deer. Go figure. Long live the champ!

• by Darren Webster - November 19, 2006, 4:46 am

I was raised in eastern canada just over from montreal.Now live and work in alaska was into the ufc in 1993 in ufc 1.Got back in the ufc when gsp came along with david louiseau.I have keeled in front of my tv three times once when team canada won gold in2002.also when gsp beat bj penn and when he took apart matt .I was so proud to be canadian what was the best at the end when he had his mother on his sholder with the belt.

• by Nathan Bradshaw - November 19, 2006, 7:24 pm

Last Night (ufc65) I watched the most enjoyable ufc match to this date. I have never wanted anybody to win, as bad as I wanted St.Pierre to destroy Hughes, and I was very impressed with his performance! Keep up the good work St.Pierre, and maybe bring a UFC fight to canada!

• by Jean Carlos Anzola - November 20, 2006, 3:01 am

I FELT SO HAPPY FOR St.Pierre , humble, great great guy ive yet to meet him but
    will make afforts to meet part of UFC history world class amazing fighter.
    He accepted defeat and grew from it as you all saw THe new
    St.Pierre IS A BEAST!!!!
    that belt will remain in this land for a wile
    cheers to St.Pierre
    Much Love

• by Bill Laswell - November 20, 2006, 3:46 am

George pwned Matt Hughes. Matt Hughes said we Canadians aren’t so strong recently. I guess a swift kick to the head was all that was needed to make him realize how wrong he was.

• by Doug Chew - November 20, 2006, 7:47 pm

The George St. Pierre Matt Hughes fight is the most exciting fight I’ve ever seen. And when George won, my palms were sweaty and my heart nearly jumped out of my throat and cheered like crazy. I am so proud of my boy!! I’ve never seen Matt Hughes get dominated like that, nuff said.
    From the first time I saw George fight, I’ve been a fan and it has to do with both George’s skill as a fighter and the nice guy that he is. Even my wife is a big fan.
    Congrats George, you are a great champion and a great ambassador for the sport. And we don’t need to make it a Canada vs US thing. George is the best 170lb fighter there is right now and most people can recognize George for the exceptional fighter and person that he is!!

• by Warren Clarmont - November 23, 2006, 6:31 pm

I knew Georges was going to beat Matt Hughes this time around. He has improved much more than Hughes has and his striking and takedown defense are impeccable. Even if they fight again, it’s not like this fight was close and Hughes could have won. It will go the same way next time. Hughes should have to fight his way back into contention. There is no one in the Welterweight division who can compete with GSP. Keep the belt in Canada Georges!

• by Darrel Ouellette - November 24, 2006, 1:26 am

The new era of MMA fighters are here man! (George “Rush” St-Pierre/Anderson “The Spider” Silva). This proves that the MMA game is always advancing to a point where conditioning, skills, heart and even a proven gameplan are being challenged to a point where trainers and fighters will have to be constantly looking for ways to keep 2 steps ahead of their opponent.
    I would like to see more tag team matches in the near future!! Both the sport and the fighters need to evolving to a point maybe looking to be in the OLYMPICS, after all, combat was in the Olympics in the begining and time has a funny way of repeating itself.
    Fight like you mean it.

• by Margaret Currie - November 25, 2006, 3:00 pm

I am a woman who loves UFC and MMA fighting! This coming from someone who was a figure skating junkie. I find it surprising that more people have not caught on and appreciate how difficult a sport this is. There is no comparison to boxing, wrestling etc. I can only imagine the determination involved to develop the skills in so many different fields. I have been watching the evolution of MMA for at least 5 years now and I find GSP the most exciting fighter yet.
    Now that we have such a dominate fighter from Canada perhaps there will be more promotion on our own turf. It needs to include education on the training and skill involved so that people can see that this is far beyond two people “just beating each other up”. Only ignorance could compare this to a “drunken brawl”.
    To George he needs to know that we from Canada can support and respect fighters from all over and the rest of the world can and will see past this just being USA vs Canada. Now that he has the title I believe he will be the dominate force for quite sometime. Matt Hughes will need to bring more than just his take down skills if he wants to win a rematch.

• by Clete Blaney - December 7, 2006, 10:25 pm

It’s just like Matt ‘the terra’ Serra said on U.F.C comeback George is just a nice guy and Hughes the Jock had to try and talk down on him. Well whats up now Mr.Arrogance looks like your belt just got ripped from u stand up style. And those inside leg kicks, come on Hughes they were all thigh baby so suck it up princess! Hughes got dominated by a way better all around fighter and as far as any challenge for The Rush, i’m sorry to say Serra but u don’t stand a chance. And Sanchez you better be praying before your fight, heck maybe just go have a couple beers and drown your sorrow i’m sure it will only take two beers and you’ll be two sheets to the wind!

• by Haley Rae - December 13, 2006, 1:22 pm

I am very excited to tell you that i am writing a speech about you saying how committed you are and how you are respectful to other fights. i also watch you on t.v with my Dad and brother jacob. Jacob was planning on being an UFC fighter but lost inetrest. he still does lots of training though and guess wat im his practise dummy. Lol So how and long do you train every day? I think your fierce oppontent is Matt Hughes. but you will beat him again. I am very impressed how dedicated and smart you are and how you arent so ignorant like Ken Shamrock. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!
    WE ARE ALL CHEEERING FOR YOU in Canada!

• by Rusty Dechaine - December 21, 2006, 9:37 pm

Thank you George for not just beating but dismantling Hughes! You are the champ and do not let any ignorant Americans bring you down and ruin your glory. I am a US citizen and I was behind you all the way. Your skills are far superior than any other 170lb-er.

• by Steven Hickey - December 22, 2006, 4:51 pm

George St. Pierre is a shy good witted Canadian who knows his stuff. He is the most dynamic MMA fighter i have ever seen enter the octagon. He brings alot of excitement and keeps you up out of your seat. He is one of the reasons that MMA is the most exciting sport of all time (This coming from a boxer). I followed GSP before he ever came close to winning the title and I always knew that he was the future of the UFC.So keep making us proud because you have done an amazing job already!!!
    Thanks for bring the belt to Canada !!!

• by Becky Detter - January 15, 2007, 12:10 pm

I am a women that is at most in love with the UFC and MMA my kids and I are in MMA classes and they love it just as much. I wanted to take a min. just to say that GSP is in fact the man that we look up to I dont care what Country he lives in or fights for!!!! He is one of the best of the best, he holds the title and what a fight!!!!!! You will contuine to see him rise to the top of all MMA. Keep up the good work GSP, keeping making us all proud!!!

• by Chris Hamilton - February 11, 2007, 11:40 am

at ufc 65 it didn’t surprise me that my fellow Canadian wopped Matt Hughes and beat him by tko!!!! Matt Hughes will keep his fat mouth shut now!!! Georges “the rush” St.Pierre is the best welterweight in the ufc! I’m 12 years old and even i know that!!!!!!

• by Michele Medina - April 10, 2007, 8:20 pm

GSP is a Canadian as well as an American Idol. This is one classy guy. I enjoy watching him fight and am always impressed by what he has to say. He is someone to watch because he’ll be baaaaack ! ! !

• by Stephanie Hargreaves - May 4, 2007, 5:06 pm

I think George St Pierre is going to go down in history. He is a very well rounded fighter and never gives up. I have met him at a seminar and he is a down to earth man. He is the nicest guy ever. Keep up the great work George and you’ll always make me proud.

• by Patrick Besarra - September 13, 2007, 3:57 pm

i’ve been watching mma for a long time and i love the sport and mad respect for all the fighters that steps into the cage. i look up to brando vera and GSP, i love the way they fight and adapt to their opponent. i’ve been training so hard on my own, and wishing someday to land a fight to prove myself where i want to be. the day will come a fighter from Yellowknife N.W.T. will be known

• by Mike Jeannotte - April 26, 2008, 11:41 pm

It’s going to take a very smart fighter to beat Geroges St-Pierre. He’s got the brains and the power, and thats what it takes to be a winner.

• by Julio Acosta - April 19, 2009, 8:38 pm

since the first time that I sought him fighting, I knew that one day,he will be able to be ,one of the greates in UFC, thanks George for bring to us not only great proformed as a fighter as human being as well. remain in the way that you are, humble, honest and with amazing personality.if you get this email please write to me because I will be so appreciate. thank you George.

• by Dick Mastel - August 4, 2009, 3:03 am

Would like to contact booking agent for George to discuss possible visit to Medicine Hat sometime in the new year, Feb/March 2010. Would like to discuss George’s schedule and details to see if we could make it happen. This would be a fundraiser event.

PS Joe Rogan will be he preforming his comedy act here in Oct. Will miss that in the hope of seeing George.

Look forward to hearing from you soon…

Dick Mastel
    Chairman
    Cypress-Medicine Hat Liberal Constituency Association

• by Atumn Williamson - December 16, 2010, 2:29 am

Kahnawake seems to be presented in a bad light in this article and it doesnt’ sit well with me.
    Kahnawake needs to be giving some credit and acknowledgement for it’s part it played in giving these Quebec and Canadian athletes (and thoughmen) a venue to do what they love in front of a local audiance. I don’t think it was promoted in a bad way, it was just the nature of the sport in that day (please read Forrest Griffin’s article in fight Magazine Dec. 2010 issue titled: Story time with Forrest). And yes I agree i love the direction the sport has taken in the past few years ( contrary to what Forrest feels, acording to the article in Fight Magazine).
    On a last note; GSP you’re amazing!! I love watching you fight!! You are certainly a top notch Athlete and and a class act.
    Congrats on your latest win against Koscheck!! I enjoyed watching it live in montreal, as well as some of the fellows in Kahnwake who did their best to promote mma in quebec who knew it in their heart that mma had a bright future. To bad it took a while for the govnt to warm up to the sport.
    hope to see you soon in Kahnawake where you have many fans!!
    And bring Jonathan Brookins to the rez with you next time you visit!!
    Peace